Thursday 19 January 2012

BRIT Me Up, Baby

So it’s almost that time of year again, when British music is celebrated with the respect it deserves and so longingly craves. Forget the Grammy’s – their constant need for drama and headlines could never outshine the wonderful British institution that is the BRITs. I’ve not missed a show for as long as I can remember, and it never fails to deliver spine-tingling performances (most notably last year’s performance from the ever-wonderful Adele) as well as tears (but no tantrums, thank you very much) and a glamourous opportunity for all the fashion junkie folk out there. And let’s not forget those famous collaborations; I’m not afraid to admit that my favourite has to be when Queen met 5ive – genius! And rumour has it that this year's duet will be a mouth-watering collaboration of arguably two of the most successful acts in the British music industry this year - Ed Sheeran and Jessie J!

The music industry has been bursting with incredible music from around the world for such a long time, but let’s be honest, British music has not always been high on the agenda. In the last couple of years, however, British music is emerging back from under the sea bed and is proving to be nothing less than extraordinary. New talent such as the previously mentioned Adele, Jessie J, Tinie Tempah and Ed Sheeran (can I get away with not mentioning One Direction, I wonder?) are perhaps most popular on not just the nominees list, but also on everybody’s lips. You can’t turn the radio on for more than 10 minutes without hearing from a great British talent – a bold statement to make, I’m sure, but it only demonstrates the growing talent we have in this country. And thank the Lord for the BRIT Awards. We, the British public, are given the opportunity to reward our favourite and most treasured stars of the music industry, and we sure do it in style.

This year’s nominees appear to be a ‘who’s who’ of the music industry. The ‘British Male Artist’ award, in my eyes, has to go to Ed Sheeran; is there a harder-working man in the industry at the moment? I don’t think so. And to be quite honest, I don’t think he’ll have any concern over whether he’ll scoop that prize or not – yes, the other nominees (particularly Professor Green) have had a great year, but Sheeran’s army of fans (me included) certainly won’t let him down in the voting stakes. I hold the same view for ‘British Breakthrough Act’ award, though I do dearly love The Vaccines and their album ‘What Did You Expect From The Vaccines’. The ‘Mastercard British Album of the Year’ is where I’m slightly torn; I love Sheeran’s ‘+’ an awful lot, in fact it is perhaps the most played album on my iTunes, but ‘Mylo Xyloto’ really is a musical masterpiece, and it seems that Coldplay put so much blood, sweat and tears into the production that they are just as much in the running, along with Adele’s heartbreaking ‘21’ – the album featuring the famous ‘Someone Like You’, which I’m sure will win best ‘British Single (perhaps fitting, after that tear-jerking performance that she gave at last year’s awards) and let’s be honest, she will probably win the ‘British Female Sola Artist’ award, too. I have fingers, toes and any other potentially crossable limbs crossed that Coldplay will win the ‘British Group’ award, though any of the other nominees (bar Kasabian, I. Cannot. Bear. Kasabian) would be worthy winners. I care very little for the ‘International Female Solo Artist’ award, but it’s unquestionably a three-horse-race between Lady Gaga, Beyonce and Rihanna – sorry Bjork and Feist. The remaining categories I can’t call - I hope that Foster the People win the ‘International Breakthrough Act’ award (but I fear that’ll go to Nicki Minaj), Fleet Foxes win the ‘International Group’ award, and Bon Iver win the ‘International Male Solo Artist’ but there is strong competition for my favourites in all of those categories.

I’m also very excited for the return of Blur! I am a little young to say that I was their number one fan when they were at their prime, but my older sister was quite the fan and so I have inherited some of her knowledge (and albums!).

So the evening of the 21st of February is already planned for me; glass of wine, plenty of snacks, good friends and the BRIT Awards on television. Unless, of course, the people behind the Brits want to change that through the #BRITsblogger competition… ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment